POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : New User Checking In : Re: New User Checking In Server Time
5 Oct 2024 15:39:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New User Checking In
From: Jim Holsenback
Date: 22 Oct 2009 07:34:29
Message: <4ae04345@news.povray.org>
"Chris B" <nom### [at] nomailcom> wrote in message
> I tried starting with
> http://wiki.povray.org/content/Documentation:Tutorial_Section_2.1
>
> The page says that changes need to be made on the Talk page (just like the
> last changes I did a couple of weeks ago), but the talk page is empty,
> where the previous talk page contained a copy of the Wiki content and the
> corresponding markup. I copied the page content, but it seemed to lose
> some of the formatting. I saved the unchanged page, removed about 4
> '200x150' resolution references and saved it again so that the changes
> should be readily identifiable.

Yes I saw your changes ... with some fishing. I'm not sure what happened
with the formatting issue you mentioned. Perhaps it has to do with how you
copied the original text.

Even with the original page locked down you still should be able to select
the "edit" function to bring up the built in  editor to copy the sections or
passages of interest. You just won't be able to make a save to the original.
After getting the text (wiki markup and all) into copy buffer just cancel
the edit. Go to the talk page (even it's a new one) and paste the whole glob
into the edit window and save (talk pages aren't locked down)

> I wanted to check that this is the way it's meant to happen before
> continuing. If you then are manually repeating those deletions back into
> the actual page, then it would probably be quicker for me to just get a
> list of all the pages affected and for you to search for '200x150' and
> delete the texts on those pages.

Thanks for checking .... I usually look at the page history to easily spot
the changes. If all is in order yes I do the copy/paste to get the modified
back into the original. If there are other passages and all it involves is a
quick edit (like the 1st four) then yes I can work from a list.

Jim